Ankeny Roofing; How Your Roof System Works
Most people know what a roof looks like, but have no idea how it works and what the different parts of it are. How does it keep the rain out? Why does severe weather make it more vulnerable? Every home has a roof, but not every homeowner knows how it works, so we are going to cover it today in our blog. When you need an Ankeny roofing contractor to repair or replace your roof, call upon the certified roofers at Action Roofing.
Your roof is made up of more than just shingles!!!
A roof is made up of different parts that are integrated to seal, defend, breathe, and protect your home from outside factors. These parts depend on each other to do their part so the entire system can work together properly. A problem with one of the layers causes a ripple effect and things can get ugly fast when they are not fixed quickly. A residential steep-slope asphalt shingle roof is made up of the following parts:
- Roof Decking - The wood boards that are attached to the trusses or joists of a home. The different layers of roofing materials are then attached to the roof decking.
- Roofing Underlayment - Felt or synthetic ice and water shield are used to add an extra barrier of waterproof protection between the roof decking and the roof shingles. It is used in important areas like eves and valleys.
- Roof Shingles - Individual overlapping pieces that are usually flat and rectangular-shaped; typically made from materials such as asphalt, wood, tile, concrete, metal, and more.
- Attic Ventilation - Allows heat and moisture to escape to defend your roof from early deterioration.
- Hip & Ridge Cap Shingles - The finishing touch that adds architectural depth and dimension to your home while protecting against leaks at the hips and ridges.
Routine Maintenance is Key
Even the best roofing materials that were installed properly need maintenance from time to time to get the most life out of them. The most significant thing you can do to keep your roof in good working condition is to have it properly inspected and maintained. Our GAF Certified Ankeny roof repair specialists can inspect your roof and make sure everything is working cohesively.
CALL ACTION ROOFING (515) 202-2173